We eat all types of food. But do you know that there are certain foods that help reduce stress. Instead of taking medicines which have certain side effects, we can include these foods in our diet to reduce stress. If it does not works for you, consult your doctor.
List of foods that help reduce stress
1. Herbal teaIt is sometimes simply the feelings induced by foods that can help us with our stress. Herbal teas can make you feel calmer and create a feeling of warmth and friendliness. You can add herbs like lavender and chamomile to add to the flavor and help you de-stress better.
2. Dark ChocolateChocolate has both a chemical and an emotional impact on our mood. It is an indulgence for people of all ages. The antioxidants in dark chocolate also help us fight off stress and anxiety. However, it is important that you eat chocolate in moderation. It is also advisable that you choose a chocolate bar that does not have any added sugar.
3. Whole grainsWhole grains make up for the day’s quota of carbohydrates. Carbs help increase the serotonin levels, the chemical that is responsible for making you feel better. Focus on adding healthy unrefined carbohydrates like sweet potatoes to your diet. Unrefined carbohydrates cause a quick spike in blood sugar levels whereas complex carbs provide vitamins, minerals and fiber.
4. AvocadosAvocados are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids that reduce stress and anxiety. They also boost concentration and improve mood. Along with omega-3 acids, avocados are also rich in phytochemicals, fiber and essential nutrients.
5. FishIt is beneficial to add seafood to your diet to help you beat stress. Especially fatty fish that are full of heart-healthy omega-3 acids. They play a big role in easing depression. Tuna, halibut, salmon, herring and sardines are some that you can try to add to your diet. If you do not eat seafood you can supplement them with seaweed, chia seeds, flaxseeds, walnuts or even fish oil
6. Warm MilkA glass of warm milk before bed is the perfect recipe for a good night’s sleep. It has a relaxing effect. For some, who have created a habit of having milk before bed, it may also be a signal that its time to go to bed. Calcium, along with bone health, is also responsible for reducing depression, stabilizing your mood and relaxing your muscles
7. NutsNuts are rich in vitamin B fatty acids. It is advisable to add almonds, pistachios and walnuts to your diet to beat the stress of the quarantine. Nuts are also known to lower blood pressure and are rich in magnesium. However, be mindful of the amount that you consume. Eat only a handful a day.
8. Citrus fruitsCitrus fruits are rich in vitamin C which is known to reduce stress, anxiety and depression. Oranges, grapefruits and strawberries are the best sources of vitamin C and E which are helpful in battling stress.
9. ProbioticsProbiotics help maintain a healthy gut. Research suggests that there is a direct correlation between gut health and stress, anxiety, depression and your mood.
10. Fiber rich foodsFiber, which is also good for your gut health, helps reduce oxidative stress and inflammation. Add beans, green peas, berries, almonds, flaxseeds, sesame and green vegetables for your daily dose of fiber. It helps balance blood sugar and prevents spikes in insulin levels.
Other food that help reducing stress are as follows:
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Raw vegetables like carrots
- Black Tea
- Kiwi fruit