Nike is a American multinational corporation that is famous for athletic footwear, apparel and recreational products. Nike is one of the most selling brand in the world. Nike sponsors most of the top athletes in different sports around the world.
27 Interesting Nike Facts
- The name Nike comes from the Greek Goddess of victory, and it's pronounced "ny'kee".
- Nike was first formed as Blue-Ribbon Sports in 1964 and served as a distributor for Onitsuka Tiger.
- Nike was founded on January 25th, 1964 by Bill Bowerman and Phil Knight.
- Nike became "Nike" in 1971.
- Nike takes your old shoes and turns them into tracks and playground for kids. The recycled material is called "Nike Grind".
- The world's largest Nike store is in London. It goes three floor and measures 42,000 square feet.
- The motto of Nike is "If you have a body, you're an athlete." It was given by Nike co-founder Bill Bowerman.
- Nike offers free workout classes.
- Nike headquarter is based in Washington County, Oregon, USA.
- The famous Nike logo, a solid swoosh was designed by a student named Carolyn Davidson from Portland State University for just $35.
- The catchphrase "Just Do It", which is now famous all over the world was inspired by Gary Gilmore last words. He was a serial killer. He said "Let's Do It" just before he was executed.
- Nike occupies 62% market for athletic shoes.
- The first athletic to promote Nike was Romanian tennis player, llie Nastase in 1972.
- Shaquille Rashaun O'Neal went to meet Nike owners dressed entirely in Reebok apparel. This is because he didn't want to sign into any contract with Nike.
- Footwear for Nike are mainly manufactured in China, Vietnam and Indonesia, but many of the shoes have been made in the USA.
- Early Nike prototypes were made from fish skin and kangaroo skin.
- A waffle iron inspired a classic shoe.
- The first video to ever hit a million views on YouTube was a Nike commercial starring Ronaldinho.
- Nike had never produced a golf club or golf ball until they signed Tiger Woods in 1995.
- Nike sells approximately 900 million items of footwear, apparel and equipment annually.
- Nike has won two Emmy awards for its commercials in 2000 and 2002.
- Nike has patented a shoe with an embedded computing device, which can communicate with the wearer's smartphone.
- Converse and Hurley international are the subsidiaries of Nike.
- The first Air Jordans were released in 1984.
- Jeff Johnson was the first employee of Nike.
- Nike made acid wash golf shorts in 1991.
- The Swoosh Logo was red for a long time.
Hope you enjoyed reading Interesting Nike Facts. Do not shy to share it with your friends.