Cheesecake is a sweet dessert. It consists of one or more layer. The main layer is filled with cheese, sugar and eggs. 100 grams of cheese consists of 321 calories.
15 Interesting Cheesecake Facts
- The first cheesecake was created on the Greek Island of Samos as far back as 2000 B.C.
- Cheesecake were served to the athletes at the first Olympic Games.
- The ancient Greeks used flour, wheat, honey and cheese to form a cake and then baked it.
- American cheesecake was not invented until late 1800s. New York dairyman William Lawrence accidentally invented cheese cream cheese in 1872 while trying to create a soft French cheese called Neufchatel.
- According to the Cheesecake Factory, Red Velvet is America's favorite cheesecake flavor.
- Some of the most popular cheesecake flavors are vanilla, pumpkin, lemon, chocolate and spices. Flavors are added to the cheese layer.
- In U.S.A there are National Cheesecake Days. March 6th is the National White Chocolate Cheesecake Day, April 23rd is the National Cherry Cheesecake Day, May 26th is the Blueberry Cheesecake Day, July 30th is the National Cheesecake Day and October 21st is the National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day.
- The English name Cheesecake has been used only since 15th century.
- The Cheesecake is not considered a cake.
- Cheesecakes are generally a type dessert that are made primarily of a cream cheese mixture and they often feature multiple layers.
- Cheesecakes can be baked in an oven or refrigerated in a fridge depending upon the ingredients and recipe.
- Cheesecake flavored postage stamps were available at the Austrian Postal Services.
- The recipe for the original cheesecake was printed in the newspaper. It was housewife Evelyn Overton of Detroit who used this recipe to make Cheesecake and got good reviews from friends and relatives. She started making Cheesecakes in her basement and sold it to the local restaurants.
- According to the Guinness Book of World Record, the most expensive Cheesecake in the world comes from the Rafele Ristorante in Manhattan. Costing around USD $5,000 it takes around 5 days to prepare it as some of the ingredients are brought fresh from all over the globe.
- The largest Cheesecake ever made weighed 4,703 pounds. Philadelphia Kraft Foods Mexico made the cake on January 25, 2009 in Mexico.