Are Dreams for real? Are they just a myth? The dream's actually don't mean anything. A dream consists of images, emotions, ideas and sensations that occur with out any of our control during the sleep. Dreams occur due to brain stem activation during rapid eye movement sleep and stimulation of the limbic system. We forget almost all dreams as soon as we wake up in the morning.
27 Interesting Dream Facts
- People who become blind after birth can see images in their dreams. People who are born blind too dream, but they cannot see images, instead their dream involves their other senses of touch, smell, sound and emotion
- Human beings spend roughly around 6 years of their lifetime dreaming.
- Interestingly, our brain tends to be more active when we sleep, than when we're awake.
- If you dream of dirty water, it may mean that your unconscious mind is telling you are not healthy.
- The scientific study of dreams is known as "oneirology".
- Every human being dream, except people with extreme psychological disorder. If you think that you are not dreaming, you just forget your dreams.
- The faces you see in your dreams are probably of the people who you know or have seen them before.
- You might have felt similar dreams reoccurring regularly. It is a psychology fact. There might be some undone tasks or feelings in the mind, which you might have to accomplish in reality. Such type of dreams, reminds you to get that job done.
- Once awake from sleep, an average person forgets the dream within 5 minutes. By 10 minutes, 90% of the dream is gone.
- The most common emotion expressed in dream is fear and anxiety. Negative emotions are more common over positive ones.
- Did you know that you can control your dreams? You can manipulate and make twists and turns in your dreams. One is aware that he/she is dreaming. It is called the "Lucid dreaming".
- Dreams have sparked ideas for many inventions. Graham Bell, Newton and many others drew their inspiration through their dreams. They wrote down their dreams as soon as they woke up from their sleep in order to remember and work on it. Inventions like Google & periodic table were inspired by dreams.
- You cannot read or tell time in your dreams.
- Men often dream more about other men. Around 70% of people in man's dream are other men. Woman's dream contains almost equal number of men and women.
- The dreams you get depend upon temperature. If the room is cold, your dreams are worse. For a better dream, a room should have average temperature.
- Every night you can dream for an average of about 2 to 3 hours.
- During REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep, both the penis and clitoris become erect. Men get erections in their REM sleep and women get increase flow of blood in their vaginas. Blood flow to the brain increases, as does the brain's temperature.
- It's impossible to dream when you're snoring. But there is no scientific evidence for this.
- Pregnant women remember dreams more than other people. This is due to the extreme hormonal changes during pregnancy.
- You can have 4 to 7 different dreams in one night.
- If you thought only humans dream then that's not entirely correct. Studies have shown that animals dream too.
- Everybody does not have colorful dreams. There are people who have black and white dreams.
- Those who have watched black and white television as youngsters tend to have more monochrome dreams than children who watched color television.
- Sleep paralysis is where you have a temporary inability to move or speak. It usually occurs when you are falling asleep or waking up. Sleep paralysis does not feel like you are in dream, it feels real. It usually lasts from few seconds to several minutes.
- Babies don't dream of themselves until the age of 3.
- Dreams are mostly symbolic in nature. If you see a particular thing your dream will not literally signify what you see. Your dream will be symbolic to something else.
- Drug withdrawals and others recovering from addictions tend to have vivid and intense dreams or nightmares.
Hope you enjoyed reading Interesting Dream Facts. Do not shy to share it with your friends.